Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Guinness Draught Stout

I managed to find a bottle of Guinness and a bottle of Anchor Steam in the hotel cafe, so I picked them both up and brought them to my room only to discover I don't have a bottle opener. Fortunately, my college education came in handy and I played beer Russian roulette, entangling the two bottle caps and pulling until the "winner" pulled open. Guinness it is.



Guinness Draught (bottled) poured like dark coffee into the glass, with the signature Guinness creamy head swelling over and eventually settling down. The nose was pure mocha with a bit of stale malt to it.

On the tongue it had a tart sharpness to it that slowly receded to the back of the throat, leaving a dense, creamy but carbonated film of a mocha latte and faded into a bitter, burnt day-old coffee taste that lingered.

I don't know... this is a popular beer and people love it. I don't. The Guinness attempt at creaminess comes off a flat and watery to me. I've heard you really need to try it from the source, but I don't know that the difference would change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment