Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier Hefeweizen Wheat Beer

I know I’m pushing myself when I pick up a style I’m relatively inexperienced with from a brewer I can’t even pronounce (my German heritage can’t save me this time)- Weihenstephan.  Never the less, tonight seems like a good night to try something new with Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier Hefeweizen Wheat beer.


Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier was a glorious hazy straw color in the glass with a huge, loosely knit white head and vigorous carbonation.  The nose was led by banana and honey with a distinct yeast tinge.

Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier met my tongue light but strongly carbonated up front, characterized by wheat and mineral notes that quickly mellowed into a semi-sweet fresh banana and sweet bread body.  The wheat beer stuck around in my mouth thicker than it drank, becoming a bit chewy at the end.

Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier was a fun and interesting experience for me.  It paired amazingly with a Cajun turkey sausage patty and sweet beans I made, and is one of those beers that, like strong red wine, is even more enjoyable when appropriately paired with a meal.  On its own, it is an excellent wheat beer with a lot of well-integrated flavors, but would seem a little cloying to drink multiple bottles in succession.  

No comments:

Post a Comment