Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Mammoth Brewing Co. IPA 395 Double IPA

Keeping with California this week, I picked up a bottle brewed about 300 miles south of Chico on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas.  New to me, the Mammoth Brewing Company offers a pretty robust catalog of beer varieties and certainly doesn't shy away from big beer styles.  As an IPA guy... I figured the best introduction I could have to Mammoth Brewing was to pick up a bottle of Mammoth Brewing IPA 395, which is their take on a double IPA and brewed with juniper berries and desert sage.


Directly out of the bottle, Mammoth IPA 395 deviated from what I think an IPA is; it was a thick, dark red with a body so heavy the carbonation struggled to make it to the top and a frothy cappuccino head that clung sticky to the side of the glass.  The nose was heavily pine-scented with sweet licorice notes.

The taste of Mammoth IPA 395 was nothing like any IPA I have tried... thick as a milkshake, it was dominated up front by the sweet licorice I detected in the nose along with cherry and molasses.  At certain points toasted cocoa stood out and as the beer faded I was able to pick up hints of the sage called out on the label.  Being a gin drinker, I was a little disappointed the juniper berries never made an appearance.

Mammoth Brewing Co.'s IPA 395 is an interesting sipping beer, but comes nowhere near what I would expect an IPA to taste like.  Maybe similar in flavor to the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA in flavor, this beer tastes too big and cloying for only 8% ABV (as opposed to Dogfish Head's 18%) but not big enough to satisfy a barley wine craving.  This beer left me puzzled and unsatisfied as an IPA, but would be worthy to pull out when you want something different from the standard varietals.

No comments:

Post a Comment